April 17, 2010

much / many

If you can count it, you say many.
If you can’t, you say much.
 
These two words are VERY OFTEN confused (especially in Hawaii). If you make a mistake, don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal.

Examples:

A. I’d like to buy some *coffee beans please.
B. How much do you need?
A. 400 grams of Kona coffee.
*Of course…you can count the coffee beans but they are usually sold by weight, not by bean.

A. Can I have some *pencils?
B. Sure, how many do you need?
A. Just one is good, thanks.
*You count pencils one by one.

Practice:

A. How _______ cookies would you like?
B. They look delicious! I’ll take five!

A. Can I buy some pikake leis?
B. Sure, how _______ do you need?
A. 33 please.

A. How _______ beers did you drink last night?
B. I forgot. I think about seven.
A. Wow! Please be more careful.

A. Can you pour me some juice?
B. Okay, how _______ do you want?
A. Just a little please.

A. How _______ teeth do you have?

アロハ 英会話 in 吉祥寺 for 大人 and こども + サマーファン in ハワイ for キッズ! CHECK IT OUT! Much Mahalos!
Follow us on Twitter--> www.twitter.com/AlohaEikaiwa ア~~~ロハ!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home